If you make cosmetic products at home for your own use or as a gift, there are a few basic rules you should follow (yes, even if it’s «only» for your own use!)
- Produce small quantities
- Sterilize work surfaces, tools and cans/bottles (boil or spray with 70% alcohol and wipe off). Disinfect hands or wear gloves
- Always work cleanly (mise en place is recommended) and keep your hands off! Always use a spoon, knife or spatula
- Always store unpreserved products with fresh ingredients or water in the refrigerator and consume within 2-3 days (microorganisms grow in it!)
- Dose essential oils correctly and follow the instructions of specialists
- Write the ingredients and date on your cans or bottles after filling
A survey has shown that up to 1/4 of the people who follow the DIY natural cosmetics recipes, tips and tricks from the Internet, then suffer a skin reaction. Even if a reaction is not immediate, long-term damage to the skin can occur. For example from incorrectly applied essential oils, overdosed or incorrectly stored raw materials.
In addition to the 6 important manufacturing principles, it is also worth knowing the tips for safe DIY natural cosmetics in general and not to trust blindly in the first best YouTube tutorial.
Have fun with your DIY!
Lots of love,