Watch out with Online-DIY – how to make safe cosmetics
On Pinterst, Instagram or Youtube you can find countless inspiring DIY natural cosmetics recipes and tips. Surveys have shown that up to 1/4 of people who try out online DIY natural cosmetics recipes suffer a skin reaction. The situation is similar with skin care tips. I will show you here what you need to pay attention to in order to produce safe natural cosmetics.
Citric acid against wrinkles, lime and baking soda as deodorant, vitamin E in hot oil, active carbon for everything, zinc ointment for babies or essential oils in vast quantities. An abundance of information, an abundance of contradictions and a lot of false information where I already feel sorry for the skin of those who try these recipes at home. Ayaaaa!
How to produce safe natural cosmetics
To make sure that your skin care is safe, I have put together a few points that are essential for me personally:
- Keep it simple, less can be more
- Better to be safe* – if you are not yet very familiar with the subject of DIY or follow our philosophy of water-free natural cosmetics, so-called «waterless beauty», I recommend recipes that do not require water. This eliminates the risk of dangerous microbial contamination.
- Know the raw materials, their origin and quality. I recommend raw materials in Demeter or organic quality, unrefined and cold pressed. Research them properly and/or get additional advice from a drugstore, natural cosmetics studio or similar. Store the raw materials correctly, oils and shea butter cool and dark.
- Make sure that you inform yourself about trustworthy sources (check the authors and their knowledge as well as possible online ratings). Especially online this is very important as there is a lot of humbugging going on. Offline there are great books on the subject.
- Follow the 6 most important basic rules for producing your DIY natural cosmetics.
- Attention with essential oils. Use them with great care. Yes, I say it again and again!
- Hands away from DIY sunscreen.
If you follow these points, you can give free rein to your creativity and produce beautiful, safe natural cosmetics. Be it for your own use or as a gift, spread the word to inspire more and more people for healthy, holistic skin care.
I strongly recommend to do a small «safety/ compatibility test» on the sensitive inner side of the forearm before the first application with a product.
Have fun making your own natural cosmetics. If you have any questions, just leave a comment here. And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for more DIY tips and tricks.
*Either way highly recommended for pregnant women, children, people with a tendency towards allergies or a weakened immune system.