On Pinterst, Instagram or Youtube you can find countless inspiring DIY natural cosmetics recipes and tips. Surveys have shown that up to 1/4 of people who try out online DIY natural cosmetics recipes suffer a skin reaction. The situation is similar with skin care tips. Here I show you what you have to pay attention in order to produce safe natural cosmetics!
DIY deo and Co.
Citric acid against wrinkles, lime and baking soda as deodorant, vitamin E in hot oil, active carbon for everything, zinc ointment for babies or essential oils in vast quantities. A lot of information, a lot of contradictions and a lot of wrong information where I already feel sorry for the skin of the people who try these recipes at home.
This is how you produce safe natural cosmetics
To make sure that your skin care is safe, I have compiled a few points that are essential for me:
- Keep it simple, less can be more
- Better to be safe* – if you are not yet very familiar with the subject of DIY or follow our philosophy of water-free natural cosmetics, so-called «waterless beauty», I recommend recipes that do not require water. This eliminates the risk of dangerous microbial contamination.
- Know the raw materials, their origin and quality. I recommend raw materials in Demeter or organic quality, unrefined and cold pressed. Research them properly and/or get additional advice from a drugstore, natural cosmetics studio or similar. Store the raw materials correctly, oils and shea butter cool and dark.
- Make sure that you inform yourself about trustworthy sources (check the authors and their knowledge as well as possible online ratings). Especially online this is very important as there is a lot of humbugging going on. Offline there are great books on the subject.
- Follow the 6 most important basic rules for producing your DIY natural cosmetics.
- Attention with essential oils – I say it again and again!!
- Hands away from DIY sunscreen.
If you follow these points, you can give free rein to your creativity and produce beautiful, safe natural cosmetics. Be it for your own use or as a gift, spread the word to inspire more and more people for healthy, holistic skin care.
Have you tried the recipe for our spring DIY whipped Shea Body Butter? It’s soooooo delicious and fun to make.
*For pregnant women, children, persons with a tendency to allergies or weakened immune system either way highly recommended.